March 7, 2011

Recipe of the week: Haitian fried spaghetti

Ok so I'm back from Haiti and I'm still not over my amazing vacation! My country of origin is so beautiful....I am absolutely in love with my culture, the people and the food from "La Perle des Antilles". 

One of my favorite things to eat there is "spaghetti", either for breakfast (yes, you read it right) or for lunch. We just call it SPAGHETTI without any specification because it litterally changes every time you make it, lol. Its spaghetti that you re-fry with onions, peppers, and whatever meat you find in your fridge (most of the times sausage or salami is used) and you cook it with ketchup, or just serve ketchup on the side. Anyways! It's super good, quick, and easy to make! I'm giving you my take of this recipe, but of course, it can vary :) Check it out! BON BAGAY = GOOD STUFF (in Creole)!!  Some pictures of the Haitian beach after the jump also!


You will need:
-Spaghetti (not gonna give a specific quantity. It all depends on
how hungry you are nah mean?)
-Onions, chopped
-Peppers (if you have any), chopped
-Garlic, minced
-Spices (to your taste)
-Olive oil
-Salami, chopped.
-Sausage (or hot dogs) chopped
-Ham, chopped

SO!
-Boil the spaghetti until fully cooked (follow the package for instructions...its pretty easy hehe). When it is cooked, drain it and leave in on the side.
-In a large pan, heat up a large amount of olive oil (about 1/4 of a cup). Fry the onions, peppers and all the meat until the onion is tender and the meat is fried (again, not gonna tell you on how brown the meat should get...it depends on taste. I personally like when my meat is close to being burnt....).
-Add thee spaghetti, spices and galic. Mix well! Add some olive oil to your taste.
-Some people like to add ketchup to the whole mix at this point! This is optional! You can always server it with the ketchup on the side :D

And that's it! 

Check out some beautiful pictures of the beach in Haiti!

Cormier Beach, Cap Haitian

Cormier

Cormier

Next to Labadie, Cap Haitian

Private beach, Cap Haitian

Private beach, Cap Haitian

1 comment:

add this