July 20, 2011

Recipe of the week: Summa summa summa time macaroni salad

YO!!! It's summer! So you know what that means: Yummier food and BBQ's! 


Here's the recipe for a side dish I love to make in summer to accompany all of that delicious BBQ grilled meat/fish: Macaroni salad! I know, I know, it's super easy and quick to make but mine is different! I don't just put veggies in it, but I also add capers, shrimp and bacon.....You all must be thinking "Duh! She HAD to put bacon there eh, Sassou will never change". :) Here it is and while you're making it, you can listen to my all time favorite summer song!



By the way, it makes a great lunch for work #imjustsayin



YOU WILL NEED
(For 3-4 people)

-Half a pack or one whole pack of macaroni (I didn't have the regular one left, so I just used the one that's shaped like a butterfly. I don't know the name, but I'm sure you know what I'm talkin' about.
-Mayo (Hellman's is the best!) to your taste
-Two tablespoons of chopped capers
-2/3 cup of mini cooked shrimp
-Bacon bacon bacon (about 6 strips)
-One small red onion, chopped in small pieces/or chives/or scallion
-Half a cup of chopped parsley
-Garlic (I used my garlic mix)
-Salt, pepper

SO!
-Boil your macaroni, drain it, set aside.
-Cook your bacon until it's very crispy. Remove bacon from pan and put it on a paper towel. DO NOT get rid of the bacon fat in the pan. You will need it!
-In the same pan you cooked your bacon (told ya!), add the shrimp and the garlic. Cook for about 3-5 minutes.
-Put macaroni in a large bowl. Add the shrimp (not the oil though), onion, half of the parsley and capers. Mix it all well. Then, add some mayonnaise to your taste. Mix again. The creamier you like your macaroni, the more mayo you should add. It really depends on your taste. 
-With your fingers, make crumbles with each piece of bacon directly on top of the macaroni. Mix it all! Taste! If you're still like "meh!" add more spices. 
-Finally, sprinkle the whole thing with the remaining parsley and add a little bit of olive oil on top.
-Enjoy!


P.S. Although it doesn't look like it, the meat on the side is italian sausage. I just cut them in the center and put them in the oven...don't ask why they turned into these patties! They were good though lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

add this