November 29, 2012

My green smoothie recipe

I love green smoothies. I remember seeing them on Pinterest or on Heyfranhey's blog and thinking: "EW!" But once you taste em, you can't get enough of these healthy treats/meal replacements. And with the year coming to an end, I thought it would be cool to share this recipe since I am pretty sure a lot of you will be deciding to eat & live healthier! :)



2012. I would call it the year of the....teeth. I have been to the dentist so many times this year that I have become MAYOR on Foursquare. It's not a joke. If you've been following me on Twitter, you surely noticed I have been talking about my teeth wayyyy more than before. To give you a small resumé: I now have braces (BOUUUHHHHHH!) and before getting them, I had to get cavities fixed, gum problem fixed and 4 teeth extractions. I know, I know. Sucks! But it is what it is.



With all of these visits at the dentist, I often found myself deprived of a lot of the foods I love. Not because I didn't want to but because of the intense pain. Try chewing on regular food when your mouth is super swollen because of a teeth extraction or after having your braces tightened. Not happening! So I had to become a baby again and eat baby food aka: Smoothies, purées, cream of wheat, oatmeal (the old school Haitian way with more Carnation milk than oatmeal) and soup. This has been going on for a few weeks now and although it totally sucks, I know it's only temporary. I will however say that I will continue having my green smoothies every day for breakfast. Why? Because:

-They're yummy
-They're full of awesome nutritive values. And you don't even notice how healthy it is because it's so yummy. And you get a good dose of your fruits and veggies for the day in just ONE drink. Ha!
-My skin has never looked better.
-I am not skipping breakfast. Yay!
-You can easily carry it and drink it discretely.


Here are a few suggestions I have to make your life easier:
-Look at the grocery store flyers to get your almond milk or soy milk on sale. I always get a bunch for 2,49$ either at Rachelle Béry or at Loblaws. I don't remember the last time I paid 3,99$ for it. 
-Get your frozen fruit at Costco! You can get a HUGE bag that will last weeks for 10$  instead of a super small bag for 6-7$ at the regular grocery store.
-Also buy your spinach at Costco. Hugeeeee bag for 3$. And freeze it! It will last a very long time if you do so.
-Peel your bananas, cut them in quarters and freeze them. This will not only ensure that your bananas don't rot super quickly, but it will also make your smoothie even colder. 
-Get ground chia seeds instead of the whole seeds. It takes less time to blend.
-Christmas time is coming up! Get your Magic Bullet on sale! :D



For one smoothie

YOU WILL NEED

-1 cup of spinach (or you could do 1/2 cup spinach, 1/2 cup of kale)
-1/2 banana
-1.5 cups of vanilla almond milk or vanilla soy milk. You can also use original soy or almond milk. 
-1/2 cup of light colored frozen fruits (pineapples, peaches and mangoes are a good example). The dark colored fruits will give a strange color to your smoothie. It won't be a green smoothie anymore.
-1/2 tbsp of honey. 
-1-2 tbsp of ground chia seeds or ground flaxseed (For your Omega)
-(Optional: One tbsp of whey protein powder)
-(Optional: 2 tbsp of lime or lemon juice)

SO!

Mix everything in your blender or Magic Bullet.

That's it!

I'm serious.

Enjoy!

xox

Sass

Below, you will find a chart for making another type of green smoothie. I just prefer using almond milk and no "powder"! Check it out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

add this