April 23, 2012

Keepin' it real with Sass: Yummy steak in 3 easy steps!

No offense to my vegetarian babes, but I admit that I am an accomplished carnivore: I love to eat meat, I can't deny it! And the worst part is, I like RED meat the most (I know I know...) and one of my favorite things to eat is a good, HOMEMADE yummy steak! 

It's so easy to make! You don't have to be a chef to achieve a perfectly cooked and tasty steak. It's not BBQ season yet so I'll give you my easy 3 steps for the pan seared method! I personally like buying my steak from the butcher; it is fresh and you can be more specific with the cut and thickness that you prefer. Boucherie Magnan is my favorite on the South Shore. 



For two people, you will need:

-Two steaks: I prefer
T-Bones or Rib-eye.
-Montreal Steak spices...the best!
-Minced garlic
-One large Spanish onion (optional)
-Two tablespoons of Canola or Vegetable oil

For the sauce

-1/2 cup of red wine
-Garlic
-Aged balsamic vinegar
-1 tablespoon of corn starch


STEP 1: Spice your steak

Before spicing your steak, make your sure you pat your steak dry (it will cook better, especially if you like your meat medium). I like my steak with lots of spices and garlic so go with your own taste!


STEP 2: Cook your steak!

In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add your steak and reduce the heat a little (between medium and maximum). If you like your steak medium, cook it for about 5 minutes on each side or until it reaches a nice, crispy golden brown texture. If you want to be ultra precise use an instant read thermometer and poke your steak: Rare should read between 125-135 degrees F, Medium 135-150 degrees F and well done between 150 and 160 degrees F.

STEP 3: LET IT REST!

Once the steak is done, put it in a plate, but don't eat it yet! I know it's hard, but letting it rest with a bit of foil on top will allow all the juices and spices to circulate.

Serve with a little square of whipped or garlic butter on top. Yummy.

If you like caramelized onions
Slice your onion and right after you've removed the steaks from the skillet, reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions and cook until they are caramelized: They become brown, soft, and taste sweeter. And the fact that you've cooked them in the same pan where you did the steak just adds the perfect taste to the onions. Serve on top of your steak or on the side.

If you like gravy 
Mix the wine, balsamic vinegar, a bit of garlic and corn starch in a little bowl. In the same pan you made your steak or caramelized onions, add the wine mix and cook over medium heat. The sauce should thicken quickly! If it is too thick, add some water. If it isn't thick enough to your taste, mix 1/4 cups of water with 1 tablespoon of corn starch and add it to the sauce. Serve hot!

Here are a few ideas for easy to make sides with your steak:
-Homemade fries
-Onions, onions and more onions.
-Potato salad
-Scalloped potatoes. 
-Sautéed spinach
-Grilled vegetables like zucchini, eggplant and red peppers. Mmmm....red peppers...mmm...
-Rice
-Sautéed mushrooms

I like my steak medium


Hope this was helpful! Enjoy your steak!

2nd image from spinachtiger.com 

1 comment:

  1. And now i'm hungry.

    Gone searching for steak. We'll have to compare notes later.

    ReplyDelete

add this